Sunday, May 2, 2010

Probability of a Car Passing By

Question: The probability of a car passing a certain intersection in a 20 minute windows is 0.9. What is the probability of a car passing the intersection in a 5 minute window? (Assuming a constant probability throughout)

Answer: This is one of the basic probability question asked in a software interview. Let’s start by creating an equation. Let x be the probability of a car passing the intersection in a 5 minute window.

Probability of a car passing in a 20 minute window = 1 – (probability of no car passing in a 20 minute window)
Probability of a car passing in a 20 minute window = 1 – (1 – probability of a car passing in a 5 minute window)^4
0.9 = 1 – (1 – x)^4
(1 – x)^4 = 0.1
1 – x = 10^(-0.25)
x = 1 – 10^(-0.25) = 0.4377

11 comments:

  1. This is only if you assume a car passing is a Bernoulli trial. For a Poisson process it's just 0.25

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful illustrated information. I thank you about that. No doubt it will be very useful for my future projects. Would like to see some other posts on the same subject!
    訂婚戒指

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that thanks for the valuabe information and insights you have so provided here.
    restoration company fort wayne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the nice blog. It was very useful for me. I'm happy I found this blog. Thank you for sharing with us.I too always learn something new from your post.
    different types of roof finishes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your blog posts. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon. Big thanks for the useful info.
    flooded basement cleanup

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks you very much for sharing these links. Will definitely check this out..
    Digital Painting

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing websites that understand the value of providing a quality resource for free. It is the old what goes around comes around routine.
    digital portrait

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are some great tools that i definitely use for SEO work. This is a great list to use in the future..
    digital painting

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love what you're doing here guys. keep it up!..
    digital paint tutorial

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was surfing the Internet for information and came across your blog. I am impressed by the information you have on this blog. It shows how well you understand this subject. Car Wheel paint

    ReplyDelete